- Apple rolled out iOS 14.2.1 for iPhone 12 models on Thursday.
- Unlike most of Apple’s iOS updates, this new version is only available for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max models.
- iOS 14.2.1 addresses a number of bugs, including MMS messages not being received, sound quality issues with Made for iPhone hearing devices when listening to audio from an iPhone, and the iPhone 12 mini Lock Screen becoming unresponsive.
Apple released the first numbered update for iOS 14.2 on Thursday, but unlike most of its software updates, this one will only be available for iPhone 12 users. If you have an iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max, you should see this update in your Settings the next time you check the app.
These are the release notes for iOS 14.2.1, which addresses a number of problems affecting iPhone 12 models:
- Some MMS messages may not be received
- Made for iPhone hearing devices could have sound quality issues when listening to audio from iPhone
- Lock Screen could become unresponsive on iPhone 12 mini
It’s unclear when or if this update will come to other iPhone models, but if you have an iPhone 11 or older, there won’t be anything for you to download and install right now, so don’t go searching for an update.
If you’re wondering whether or not your device is compatible with iOS 14.2.1 or iPadOS 14.2.1, we put together a full list below that contains every compatible device. If your device is on there, you’re good to go:
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
As we’re sure you know by now, installing a new iOS or iPadOS update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch couldn’t be easier. Just navigate to Settings > General > Software Update and then tap “Download and Install” at the bottom of that page. If you want, you can also install the update through iTunes by connecting your iOS device to a computer. Whichever method you choose, just make sure to back up your device before installing the update.