19 C
Jaipur
Saturday, January 23, 2021

Pokémon Go: The game that earned $1 billion in 2020

Must read

A couple of years back, Pokémon was quite the rage and talk of the town. A game — titled Pokémon GO — based on the character was released in 2016 and was talked about, played a lot and went ‘viral’ so to speak. But if you thought that the game is a thing of the past and not popular any more, then think again. It looks that even after more than four years of its launch, the game’s popularity isn’t on the wane. According to a report by Sensor Tower, Pokémon GO earned $1 billion in revenue from player spending in the first 10 months of 2020. Developed by Niantic, Pokémon Go is third on the list of games that made most money in 2020. PUBG Mobile and Honor of Kings are the two top grossing games of 2020.
However, as the report says,“Pokémon GO’s success is still impressive” because it’s not a new game per se and you would’ve thought that its best days are behind. Sensor Tower report says, “Due to Niantic’s implementation of stay-at-home features, meaning consumers could still enjoy the location-based game without a reliance on what was previously part of its core functionality—walking outdoors. At the same time, some players, practicing physical distancing, are turning to the title as a way to safely venture outdoors and stay active during this time.”
The report further says that Pokémon GO has earned $3.2 billion in player spending since its launch. The game’s most lucrative market is the Untied States with $1.5 billion in revenue coming from there. “Japan ranks No. 2 with $1.3 billion in revenue, or 31.3 percent, while Germany ranks No. 3 with $238.6 million, or 5.7 percent,” notes the report by Sensor Tower.
Google Play accounts for the majority of the title’s revenue, generating more than $2.2 billion, or 53.4% of what the game earned. Apple App Store, on the other hand, accounts for $1.9 billion, or 46.6% of the total revenue.

Source link

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article